Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

How do I get a copy of my state corporation or partnership tax return?

We generally keep corporation and partnership tax returns for a minimum of three and a half years from the original due date. You can request a copy of your California corporation or partnership tax return by completing form FTB 3516 (side 2), Request for Copy of Corporation, Partnership and Limited Liability Company Tax Return. You may also request your return in writing. The following information must be included in your written request:

  • The name of your corporation or partnership.
  • For corporation returns, your California Corporation ID and Federal Employer Identification Number as filed on your tax return or claim.
  • For partnership returns, your Federal Employer Identification Number as filed on your tax return or claim.
  • Your corporation or partnership's telephone number including area code.
  • Your corporation or partnership's current mailing address.
  • Taxable year or years of returns requested.
  • The signature and title of the officer or trustee of your corporation or partnership.

The request should be sent to:

Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 1570
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-1570

There is a $20.00 search fee for each tax return copy you request. Include a check or money order for the total amount due, made out to the Franchise Tax Board. It may take up to 4 weeks from the date of your request to receive a copy of your return.

There is no charge for a copy of your return if you are requesting a return for a tax year in which you were the victim of a designated California state or federal disaster.

Chat with an FTB Representative