Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

When does my corporation have to file a short period return?

Generally, a return is due on or before the 15th day of the 3rd month following the close of the taxable year.

The California due dates for filing returns are different from the federal due dates. If the Internal Revenue Service requires your corporation to file a short-period return, then generally we will require one as well. The minimum tax is required on all short period returns.

If you are required to file a short-period return for federal, then the due date for filing the California short-period return will be the same as the federal due date.

If a C corporation elects S corporation status mid-year or a corporation terminates its S corporation status, we require short period returns for the S corporation's short year and the C corporation's short year.

Chat with an FTB Representative