Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

How do I get an extension of time to file?

California automatically allows a 7-month extension to file for all corporations that are not suspended. A delinquent penalty will not be assessed if your return is filed by the extended due date.

However, to avoid late payment penalties and interest you must pay the tax due by the original return due date using the Payment Voucher for Automatic Extension for Corporations and Exempt Organizations, form FTB 3539. If your corporation is required to pay by Electronic Funds Transfer do not use form FTB 3539. If no payment is due, you do not need to file form FTB 3539.


Chat with an FTB Representative