Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

The tax for my S corporation is less than the minimum franchise tax. What figure do I put on line 21 of Form 100S?

You must enter the minimum tax amount. Minimum tax is the amount you must pay the first quarter of each accounting period whether the corporation is active, operates at a loss or does not do business. The current minimum tax is $800. For new corporations that qualify or incorporate, the minimum tax is $0.00 for the first tax year, but is measured based on income for the year and is subject to estimate requirements and $800 minimum tax for subsequent years. S corporations must pay at least the minimum tax and any applicable QSub annual tax each year. An S corporation that is the parent of a QSub must pay the $800 annual tax for each QSub.

Chat with an FTB Representative