Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Who do I need to contact to start a business?

Contact your local Chamber of Commerce or call the statewide Chamber of Commerce 800.331.8877. The Chamber of Commerce will provide you with information for your area and referrals to other agencies.

The most common agencies to contact are:

  • The State Board of Equalization for wholesale and resale numbers and sales tax information.
  • The Office of Secretary of State (SOS) to register as a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, or Limited Partnership.
  • Your city or county for business licensing.
  • The Department of Consumer Affairs for state licensing.
  • The Employment Development Department for a state Employer ID number and state employer withholding information.
  • The Internal Revenue Service for federal ID numbers and federal employers withholding information.
  • The Franchise Tax Board for Publication 1060-Guide for Corporations Starting Business in California.


Chat with an FTB Representative