Other Agencies

Attorney General's Office – Registry of Charitable Trusts

Website: oag.ca.gov/charities
PO BOX 903447
SACRAMENTO CA 94203-4470
Phone: 916.445.2021

The Attorney General regulates charitable corporations, unincorporated associations, trustees and other legal entities doing business or holding assets for charitable purposes in California, and the commercial fundraisers, fundraising counsel and coventurers who solicit on behalf of charities. The purpose of this oversight is to protect charitable assets for their intended use and ensure that the charitable donations contributed by Californians are not misapplied and squandered through fraud or other means.

California law requires charities to register with the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts within 30 days of receiving assets, and to file annual financial disclosure reports. Fundraising professionals must register prior to conducting business in California. Further guidance, including all forms and instructions, go to oag.ca.gov/charities.

Board of Equalization

Website: boe.ca.gov
PO BOX 942879
Phone: 800.400.7115

The Board of Equalization (BOE) collects California state sales and use tax, as well as fuel, alcohol, and tobacco taxes and fees that provide revenue for state government and essential funding for counties, cities, and special districts.

The BOE has a dual role with county assessors in administering the welfare exemption, which exempts property used exclusively for religious, hospital, scientific, or charitable purposes and owned and operated for those purposes by qualifying nonprofit organizations. The BOE determines whether an organization is eligible for the Welfare or Veterans’ Organization exemption.

Employment Development Department

Website: edd.ca.gov
PO BOX 826805
SACRAMENTO CA 95741-2068
Phone: 888.745.3886

Whether you are starting a new business or are an existing employer, the Employment Development Department's goal is to help you find the resources and information that you need to succeed. Go to their website to access State payroll tax services and information.

Internal Revenue Service

Website: irs.gov/charities/
Phone: 877.829.5500

Go to the Internal Revenue service website for filing requirements.

Secretary of State

Website: sos.ca.gov/business/be/
Mail: List of mailing address
Phone: 916.657.5448

The Business Entities Section of the Secretary of State's office processes filings, maintains records and provides information to the public relating to business entities (corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, general partnerships, limited liability partnerships and other business filings).
Filing information, forms, a step-by-step guide to starting a business and links to various business resources are available on the Secretary of State’s website at sos.ca.gov/business/be/.

California law requires corporations, limited liability companies, and common interest development associations to file a statement on a regular basis to update the entity’s record. Please refer to the California Secretary of State’s website at sos.ca.gov/business/be/statements.htm for additional information.

Back to Charities and Nonprofits (Exempt Organizations)