HRA program changes for the 2006 claim year and mailing of Exempt Property letters
PURPOSE OF BULLETIN
To advise staff of changes to the Homeowner and Renter Assistance Program for the 2006 claim year.
INCOME LIMITATION INCREASE
The total household income limitation for the 2005 calendar year is increased to $40,811.
The gross household income limitation for the 2005 calendar year is increased to $74,200.
MAXIMUM AMOUNT UNCHANGED
The maximum amount of homeowner or renter assistance is unchanged from the 2005 claim year:
- $472.60 for homeowner assistance
- $347.50 for renter assistance
WHEN ARE FORMS BEING MAILED?
Direct mailing of the 2006 HRA Booklets to claimants who filed last year will begin June 16, 2006. Claimants should receive their booklets by July 1, 2006.
HRA CLAIM FORM CHANGES
For the 2006 claim year:
- Foreign language instructions in Spanish, Chinese, and Korean are now available on the FTB Web site.
- Page 2 of the 9000H/9000R booklet now includes information on "The State Controller's Property Tax Postponement Program For Senior Citizens, Blind or Disabled Citizens."
- We expanded the proof of disability document list to include a physician's letter and a letter from a government department or agency.
- A homeowner that makes a floating home a permanent residence must file as a homeowner.
- The statement "If you cannot check one of the boxes, STOP HERE. You do not qualify to file for a Renter (Homeowner) Assistance claim" was moved from Step 3, Line 4 to Line 3.
- Line 5, Form 9000R was modified to read "Enter the total number of months during 2005 that you lived in one or more qualified rented residence(s) in California."
- STEP 4 of Form 9000H is changed to "Property information from 2005/2006 Tax Bill."
- STEP 8 now states "Homeowner calculation and assistance claimed."
- Line 17, Form 9000H is changed to "Homeowner calculation. Enter 1% of line 5a."
- The front of the 2006 booklet mailed to claimants now states "Failure to attach your label will delay processing of your claim."
- STEP 1 of the 9000H/9000R directs the claimant to "Place label here, type or print." A label shaped graphic is now printed on the name and address section of the claim form.
WHERE TO GET FORMS AND PUBLICATIONS
Beginning June 15, 2006, HRA forms and publications are available through the:
- FTB Internet Website at www.ftb.ca.gov (for forms only – go to Forms and Publications).
- HRA Web page on the FTB Web site (for forms and information): /individuals/hra/forms.shtml.
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System.
- Forms Request System (also known as WHLB).
AUTOMATED TELEPHONE NUMBER
Beginning June 15, 2006, claimants can use the automated telephone number, (800) 868-4171, to:
- Order 2006 claim year HRA forms.
- Hear answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- Beginning July 1, 2006, claimants can use the automated number to check the status of their current year claims.
EXEMPT PROPERTY LETTER
On June 15, 2006, we will mail approximately 338 exempt property letters to building owners and property managers of property that we have identified as being exempt from property tax. The letters indicate that California Homeowner and Renter assistance is not available to individuals who live on property that is exempt from paying property taxes.
For more details see Attachment 1.