Check the Status of Your Tax Refund at FTB.CA.GOV
Released May 21, 2008
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) announced today that California taxpayers can get easy answers to their questions by visiting the FTB Web site at www.ftb.ca.gov.
“Taxpayers can access a range of services at the Franchise Tax Board's Web site that can help with filing returns or scheduling payments. Taxpayers who already filed paper returns can visit the site to immediately find the status of their refund," said State Controller and FTB Chair John Chiang.
It can take up to eight weeks to process a return and issue a refund, especially for returns filed late in the tax season. As of May 19, more than 9 million refunds were issued totaling nearly $6.5 billion. The average refund was approximately $726.
To check the status of a refund, taxpayers need to have the following information ready:
- Social security number.
- Complete mailing address. If the address has changed, contact FTB at 800.852.5711.
- The refund amount shown on the tax return.
For taxpayers who have yet to file their tax return FTB offers free e-filing:
- FTB’s ReadyReturn program where FTB completes the return for you.
- CalFile, the free online tax filing program offered by the FTB. Offered in both English and Spanish.
FTB offers a number of other self service options online at www.ftb.ca.gov:
- My FTB Account service allows you to view payments, balances due, and wage and withholding information.
- Set up an installment payment plan, or choose from a variety of payment options, including FTB’s online payment program, Web Pay.
- Get answers to frequently asked questions.
- Print tax forms or publications.