Tax Assistance - Ask Tax Questions
Select Live Chat to ask general questions regarding personal and business income tax or get help with our website. If you have specific questions about your account Login to MyFTB and use Secure Chat.
If you are having technical problems with FTB's website (e.g., bad links, etc.), please email FTB's webmaster. Before emailing FTB's Webmaster about problems downloading forms, please read the FAQ's about downloading forms from FTB's website.
Warning: DO NOT include any confidential data (e.g., social security number) in your email messages.
Automated Toll-Free Phone Service
Our automated service is available in English and Spanish to callers with touch-tone telephones. You may call our automated service at 800.338.0505 or 916.845.6600 (not toll free), 24 hours a day, seven days a week to:
- Hear recorded answers to questions about California taxes.
- Personal Income Tax forms may be ordered for the current year as well as the two previous years (e.g. 2017, 2016, 2015).
- Business Entity Tax forms may be ordered for the current year from 6 AM to 8 PM, Monday through Friday, and 6 AM to 4 PM.
on Saturdays. We may modify these hours without notice to meet operational needs.
See instructions for using the automated toll-free phone service for a list of available forms.
- Find out about your current year Personal Income Tax refund – before calling check the current tax return processing timeframes or you may also check your personal income tax refund on our website.
- Check your current balance due, verify current year estimate payments and view other recent payments – You may also check your balance due or view your payments on our website.
Taxpayer Services Center
Telephone assistance is available from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. We may modify these hours without notice to meet operational needs.
- Call 800.852.5711 from within the United States, or 916.845.6500 (not toll-free) from outside the United States.
- For Federal tax questions, call the IRS at 800.829.1040 and follow the prompts.
California Relay Service
711 or 800.735.2929
TTY (Device to Device)
We can serve you quickly if you call us for assistance. However, you may want to write to us if you are replying to a notice we sent you, or to get a written reply. Be sure to include your social security number, your daytime and evening telephone numbers and a copy of the notice with your letter. Send your letter to:
Franchise Tax Board
P.O. Box 942840
Sacramento, CA 94240-0040
We will acknowledge receipt of your letter within four to six weeks. In some cases, we may need to call you for additional information.
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help us improve our website
Last Updated: 09.18.2018