FTB Awarded “Green” Building Standard
tel 916.845.4800 cell 916.502.2587 Denise.Azimi@ftb.ca.gov
Public Affairs Office Denise Azimi
For Immediate Release
Sacramento – The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) today received five certifications from the U.S. Green Building Council for energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly buildings.
The FTB campus is comprised of five buildings consisting of nearly 2 million square feet and houses more than 5,000 state employees. Awards came for each of the five buildings, which met the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Four buildings attained the “Gold” status and one attained “Silver”. The green building standards annually save the State $35,000 in operating costs. LEED standards for energy and resource efficiency include:
- Highly energy-efficient lighting fixtures, mechanical equipment, insulation, screens and sunshades, and double-pane window glazing reduce heating and cooling needs. Automatic lighting control system that adjusts interior light based on the amount of natural daylight. “Cool” white roofing that reflects heat from the sun to keep down inside temperatures and cooling costs.
- Low-flow plumbing and automatic flow sinks in restrooms. Exterior irrigation fixtures and drought tolerant landscaping.
- “Bio-swales” in parking lots that slow the rate of storm water runoff to sewer systems and reduce erosion. Bio-swales use vegetation to filter pollutants before runoff reaches streams and rivers.
- Tree-shaded parking lots.
- Resource-efficient construction practices that divert waste from landfills.
- Proximity to public transit.
- FTB previously won three silver LEED awards for new construction for the FTB campus expansion project completed in 2005. The new buildings were designed to exceed California energy efficiency standards by more than 20 percent.
Access California's Green Building Directory at http://www.greenbuildings.dgs.ca.gov.
For more information on other taxes and fees in California, visit taxes.ca.gov.
Connect With Us
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later