Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Tax Professionals Can Make Filing Easier

Preparing a state income tax return can be done in minutes by millions of Californians using the Form 540 2EZ. But for those with more complex tax situations, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Public Accountant (PA), Enrolled Agent (EA) or tax preparer may be able to help you file on time and offer valuable tax planning services to help you reduce your taxes, according to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB).

If you are thinking about using one of these tax professionals, here is some information to help you make your selection:

CPAs and PAs are licensed by the California Board of Accountancy. To locate a CPA, contact the California Society of Certified Public Accountants at (800) 922-5272 or visit

Enrolled Agents are licensed by the federal government. To locate an EA near you, contact the California Society of Enrolled Agents at (800) 829-7765 or visit

Tax preparers are registered with the California Tax Education Council and include those (other than CPAs, PAs, attorneys, EAs and anyone employed by these individuals) who, for a fee, assist with or prepare tax returns, or assume responsibility for tax returns. To locate a preparer near you, call 877-850-2832 or visit

Chat with an FTB Representative