Where’s My State Tax Refund?
Media Contact Only
Public Affairs Office
For Immediate Release
To check a refund status, taxpayers need their:
- Social security number.
- Mailing address.
- The refund amount shown on the tax return.
Taxpayers who e-filed their returns and requested a direct deposit can generally expect their refund within 7-10 days. Taxpayers who filed a paper return late in the tax season can expect to wait up to 8-12 weeks. This is because FTB processes paper-filed returns manually along with the nearly 3 million other returns traditionally filed close to the April deadline.
As of May 21, FTB issued 9.6 million personal income tax refunds totaling more than $8 billion for the 2013 tax year. The average refund amount is $862.
FTB offers other useful online self-service options:
- Access MyFTB Account to view payments, balances due, and wage and withholding information. Taxpayers can also update their mailing address if needed.
- Web Pay allows taxpayers to authorize a payment from their bank account on a specific date to satisfy their tax liability due or extension payment requirements. Taxpayers can save their bank account information for future use.
- Monthly installment payment plans are available to people who cannot pay what they owe. Generally taxpayers qualify for a payment plan when they owe $25,000 or less and can pay the tax within five years.
- Answers to frequently asked questions.
- Additional e-file services are also available.