Check Online for State Tax Refund Status
Media Contact Only
Public Affairs Office
For Immediate Release
Sacramento –The fastest way for state taxpayers to check on an expected state tax refund is to visit FTB’s website at ftb.ca.gov and use the Check Your Refund Status service, according to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB).
Taxpayers who e-filed their returns and requested a direct deposit can expect their refunds within 7-10 days. Taxpayers who filed a paper return late in the tax season can expect to wait up to 6-8 weeks. This is because paper-filed returns are processed manually along with the nearly 4 million other returns traditionally filed close to the April deadline.
FTB provides an instructional video about how to use the online Check Your Refund Status service. The service is also offered in Spanish.
Through April 30, refund statistics for the 2010 tax year are:
- Issued 8.3 million refunds.
- Total paid in refunds is $6.8 billion.
- Average refund totals $820.
To check a refund status, taxpayers need their:
- Social security number.
- Mailing address.
- The refund amount shown on the tax return.
FTB offers a number of other online self-service options:
- Access My FTB Account to view payments, balances due, and wage and withholding information. Taxpayers can also change their mailing address.
- Web Pay allows taxpayers to authorize a payment from their bank account on a specific date to satisfy their return balance due or extension payment.
- Monthly installment payment plans are available to people who cannot pay what they owe. Generally taxpayers who owe less than $25,000 and can pay the tax within five years qualify for a payment plan.
- Answers to frequently asked questions.
- Additional e-file services available through October 17, 2011.
For more information on other taxes and fees in California, visit: taxes.ca.gov.
Help us improve our website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later