e-file for Fiduciaries 2014
Purpose of Bulletin
To advise staff that we are expanding the California e-file Program to include Fiduciaries.
The California e-file Program offers year round e-filing for individuals who file FTB forms 540, 540NR, 540NRS, 5402EZ and businesses filing FTB forms 100, 100S, 100W, 100X, 565, 568 and 199 along with most accompanying forms and schedules.
Beginning January 2, 2014, Fiduciaries will be able to e-file FTB Form 541, California Fiduciary Income Tax Return, for tax years that begin on or after January 1, 2013.
Adding fiduciaries to our California e-file program will make it possible to e-file the following forms listed below, as well as most other accompanying forms and schedules:
- Form 541 - California Fiduciary Income Tax Return
- Schedule D ( 541) – Capital Gain or Loss
- Schedule J (541) - Trust Allocation of an Accumulation Distribution
- Schedule K-1 (541) - Beneficiary's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits
- Schedule P (541) - Alternative Minimum Tax and Credit Limitations – Fiduciaries
The Internal Revenue Service already mandates e-filing for many of these returns, so this will increase convenience for those already e-filing the federal return.
Fiduciaries are not included in the individual e-file mandate at this time. We will reevaluate the fiduciary e-file program at the end of 2014 for potential inclusion in the mandate beginning in January 2016.
Preparers should check with their software provider to see if they support e-file for fiduciaries.
To get more information, fiduciaries can go to ftb.ca.gov and search for:
- Form 541 requirements
- Fiduciary e-file calendar