PURPOSE OF BULLETIN
To advise staff of two upcoming changes:
- Implementing a permanent filing program called "ReadyReturn" beginning January 2, 2008.
- A marketing program that began December 18, 2007.
ReadyReturn was a pilot program offered to selected taxpayers in 2005 and 2006. We mailed invitations and completed returns to the selected taxpayers. They had the option to file the return, change it, or discard it.
WHAT IS READYRETURN?
ReadyReturn is a service designed to ease the filing burden for taxpayers who file the simplest tax returns. We use available information to pre-prepare a California state tax return.
If the taxpayer qualifies, then he or she simply needs to review, update (if needed), sign, and file the return. He or she can make the changes needed so that the return accurately reflects his or her tax situation for tax year 2007.
Taxpayers can use ReadyReturn online or by paper; and the service is voluntary.
HOW WILL TAXPAYERS FIND OUT ABOUT READYRETURN?
We are not mailing invitations to all eligible taxpayers. We are launching a marketing campaign, including:
- The cover of the 2EZ booklet.
- Videos posted on YouTube.
- Press releases and public service announcements.
- A "tell a friend" campaign by FTB employees.
- Outreach events.
- Customer Service Representatives.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR READYRETURN?
On the taxpayer’s 2006 California state return, he or she:
- Used the single filing status.
- Claimed no dependents.
- Took the standard deduction.
- Had income only from wages.
- Did not claim any credits other than exemption credits.
In addition, he or she must:
- Have had one employer in 2007.
- Earned less than $155,416 in 2007.
- Not have a taxpayer status on TI of classified, deceased, protester/FAN, identity investigations.
- Not be an FTB employee.
- Not have any payments in suspense.
HOW CAN A TAXPAYER CHECK IF THEY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR READYRETURN?
Taxpayers can check their eligibility on our Website www.ftb.ca.gov, through the IVR, or by contacting customer service staff at (800) 338-0505.
Customer service staff will check a taxpayer’s eligibility by using the ReadyReturn Eligibility & Print Request Tool on the web:
- Go to http://www.ftb.ca.gov/readyReturn/about.shtml.
- Continue following the prompts.