Enterprise Data to Revenue (EDR) Project Information
One of Franchise Tax Board’s (FTB) strategic goals is to modernize our IT systems and processes across the enterprise to modernize our operations to increase efficiencies, increase services to taxpayers, maximize transparency and increase revenue. To support this goal, FTB developed long term IT strategy called Tax System Modernization (TSM). TSM includes three major phases:
- Phase 1 (EDR1) – laid the foundation for TSM by delivering the infrastructure and software architecture for a consolidated platform with common business functions and services.
- Phase 2 (EDR2) – build upon the platform implemented in EDR1 to deliver enterprise cases management and modeling, decommission outdated legacy systems, and increase services to taxpayers.
- Phase 3 (EDR3) – extend the functionality implemented to deliver an enterprise tax accounting component and additional enterprise services. With Phase 3, the TSM initiative will be complete and the FTB tax programs will be integrated onto a common modern platform.
EDR1 was the first phase of the Tax Systems Modernization effort. The project focused on creating process improvements resulting in efficiencies, new service options and increased revenue. The project spanned five years, 2011 to 2016, and generated approximately $3.7 billion in additional revenue over the life of the project and an additional $1 billion annually.
EDR1 included five major components:
- New Return Processing System. Automated processes with real-time validation, data capture and fraud detection for personal income tax and business entity returns.
- Improved Analytics. Centralized warehouse making data accessible to legacy systems, users and enterprise data modeling mart.
- New Self-Service Options for Taxpayers and Representatives. Secure access to online tax information and services, such as viewing returns, payments, withholding, chat, send message and much more.
- Business Improvements. Correspondence imaged and routed electronically allowing for efficient case assignment and processing of work.
- Improved Legacy Systems. Improved notices for taxpayers and enhanced enforcement tools for collection staff.
EDR1 brought s more self-service options and account information to MyFTB for taxpayers and representatives. New features included:
EDR2 will be the second phase of the Tax Systems Modernization (TSM) effort and will build upon the successes of EDR1. The primary focus will continue build upon enterprise process improvements, serve more taxpayers and increase revenue for the State of California.
EDR2 will include 5 major components:
- Expanded Case Management. Move all business systems on to one enterprise case management system by adding Audit, Collections and Fraud into our current case management system. Continue to automate manual processes. Decommission aged legacy systems that are outdated and siloed.
- Increased Customer Service. Provide new communication options, new education services and options to self-correction tools for taxpayers and representatives.
- Expanded Data Warehouse. Continue to centralize our data into one enterprise platform. Add pass through entity and third party data.
- Increased Audit Modeling and Fraud Detection. Utilizing new data and dynamic modeling strategies to pro-actively approach noncompliant behavior and to address the tax gap.
- Business Improvements. Improve case section, workload management and knowledge management.
- 2016 and 2017 - Business Problem Analysis
- 2017 through 2021 – Procurement
- 2022 through 2028 – Project Duration
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later