MyFTB Corner June 2018 Tax News
Taxpayer authorization needed for full online account access
As we mentioned in our May Tax News article, Security Changes Coming to MyFTB, we will enhance our online security in MyFTB on June 24, 2018. When Power of Attorney (POA) and Tax Information Authorization (TIA) relationships are approved after June 24, you will automatically receive limited online account access to their client’s account information. To get full online account access you must request full access from your client’s account and your client will need to authorize the request (also referred to as opt-in). Your client can choose 1 of 5 ways to approve or deny full access, including using their own MyFTB account, see May Tax News article, Security Changes Coming to MyFTB, for all options. Active POA and TIA relationships approved prior to June 24 will continue to have full access until the relationship expires or is revoked.
Limited online account access only relates to information available to you using MyFTB. There is no change to the information you can receive by phone, chat, or in person.
After June 24, you will see the following enhancements for newly approved POA or TIA relationships:
- Online Access - your Client List will now include a new Online Access column which indicates the level of online access to your client’s account information. Levels of access are Full, Limited, and Requested.
- Full – you have full online account access. For information on what you can view with full online account access, see our May Tax News article, Security Changes Coming to MyFTB.
- Limited – you have limited online account access. Limited displays when you have not requested full online account access, your client has denied your request for full online account access, or your request for full online account access has expired.
- Requested – you have submitted a request for full online account access; you will retain limited online account access while the request is pending (Your client has 30 days to authorize or deny your request before the code expires).
- Limited Account Access - from your client’s MyFTB account:
- Request Full Online Account Access - we will send a notice to your client with the authorization code to approve or deny the request.
- View Notices - notices and correspondence (including responses to Send Secure Message) sent from us in the last 12 months.
- Full Online Account Access Requested – from you client’s MyFTB account and after you have requested full online account access you may be able to:
- Enter Authorization Code – on behalf of your client when they provide you the authorization code. The Limited Account Access box shows the date you requested full online account access and the date the authorization code will expire.
- Request New Code* – for full access.
- The Request New Code button will display 10 business days after your initial request for full online account access.
- You may request full online account access up to three times. After the third request, the Request New Code button will no longer display and your client will need to contact us to have a new authorization code issued.
- If your client has denied your request for full online account access, the Request New Code button will not display and your client will need to contact us to have a new authorization code issued if they want you to have full access.
*Requesting a new code will make the prior authorization code invalid.
See MyFTB Help