California Like-Kind Exchanges (FTB 3840) letters January 2019 Tax News
Beginning in late December 2018 through February 2019, we are mailing letters to taxpayers who either failed to file or filed an incomplete FTB 3840 for 2016. The letters request that taxpayers file FTB 3840 to include California-specific details.
As mentioned in our October 2018 Tax News in the article, FTB 3840, California Like-Kind Exchanges, Filing Requirements and Tips for Correct Reporting, California requires taxpayers to file form FTB 3840, California Like-Kind Exchanges, when they exchange real property located in California for like-kind property located outside of California. This requirement began with tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.
FTB 3840 must be filed in the year that the like-kind exchange occurs and every year thereafter as long as the gain or loss is deferred. The reporting continues until one of the following occurs:
- Deferred California sourced gain or loss is recognized on a California return
- Property is transferred through inheritance, eliminating the deferred California source gain or loss
- Replacement property is donated to a non-profit organization
In addition, if the out-of-state replacement property is later exchanged for another property as part of a tax-deferred exchange, an FTB 3840 is still required because the gain or loss deferral continues.
The instructions for FTB 3840 require that the federal amounts reported on Part III, line 12 through line 25 of federal Form 8824 be entered on FTB 3840, Part II, line 7 through 20, respectively. In addition, Schedule A, Parts I, II, and III require California-specific information.
- A box on Question B has not been checked to indicate whether the FTB 3840 is an initial, amended, annual, or final form.
- Vague, incomplete, or omitted property descriptions. FTB 3840 instructions require that the full address (or assessor's parcel number, county, and state) must be reported.
- Missing ownership percentages.
- Omitted California source deferred gain (Schedule A, Part I, Line 8).
Search our website for FTB 3840 to get more information.