Delayed Notice Public Service Bulletin
August 28, 2020
Purpose of bulletin
To inform taxpayers and the department that some notices, including the Notice of Proposed Assessment, Notice of Action and Notice of State Income Tax Due, were mailed late.
Mailing operations were suspended causing a three to seven day delay in notices being mailed. The following mail dates were impacted:
- July 23, 2020 through July 31, 2020
- August 19, 2020 through August 28, 2020
Specific time frames to respond or to make a payment will be extended based on the delay.
- The time period to protest a Notice of Proposed Assessment is 60 days from the postmark date on the envelope.
- The time period to appeal a Notice of Action from a Notice of Proposed Assessment is 30 days from the postmark date on the envelope.
- The time period to appeal a Notice of Action denying a claim for refund is 90 days from the postmark date on the envelope.
Taxpayers with general questions can contact the phone number on the notice.