In 2012, we introduced two-dimensional (2D) barcode technology on a limited number of forms and schedules. We are not requiring tax software developers to include 2D barcodes with their products at this time; however, your product may already include them. Using 2D barcodes allows us to process paper-filed returns more efficiently.
2D barcodes are available for tax year 2012 paper-filed personal income tax (PIT) forms and schedules:
- Form 540, California Resident Income Tax Return
- Schedule W2, Wage and Tax Statement
- FTB 5805, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals and Fiduciaries
- Schedule CA (540), California Adjustments - Residents
- Schedule D (540), California Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment
- Schedule P (540), Alternative Minimum Tax and Credit Limitations – Residents