Why Do I Owe?
There are many reasons why you may have received a bill or notice from us. Read about common notices and bills to see what actions you can take to address your bill and learn more about the debt collection process.
Your Bill Details
Log in to MyFTB to get further information about your tax debt.
Press enter to show or hide Tax Debt content Request or Demand for Tax Return
If you received a notice asking you to file a California Tax Return, visit our Request/Demand for Tax Return page with your notice ID to:
- Find answers to questions.
- Request additional time to reply to a notice.
- Reply to this notice.
- Get tax forms.
Press enter to show or hide Tax Debt content Tax Debt
Below are some reasons why you owe a tax debt and what you can do to pay it.
- Why do I owe?
- Why did I receive a Return Information Notice or Notice of Tax Change?
- About a tax audit
- Respond to head of household audit letter
- Why was my refund offset?
- Private Debt Collection Program
Press enter to show or hide Court-Ordered Debt content Court-Ordered Debt
Press enter to show or hide Vehicle Registration Debt content Vehicle Registration Debt
Garnishments and Debt Resolution
Press enter to show or hide Individuals content Individuals
Press enter to show or hide Businesses content Businesses
Press enter to show or hide Employers content Employers
To prevent future collection action be sure to:
- Pay and file your taxes on time.
- Adjust your withholding to cover the tax due.
- Pay all vehicle and court related fines as soon as you receive them
If you disagree with our notice, feel free to contact us.
Before You Call
Have the following ready in the event you need to call us:
- Your name, address, and social security number.
- Your bill/ notice number along with your banking information.
- Garnishments – have your employer’s/bank fax/contact information.
- Proof of payment (e.g. cancelled check, transaction number, etc).
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later