Repeal of Economic Development Areas and Enactment of New Business Tax Credits
FTB Archive Disclaimer: Archived content is not current and may contain broken links. It remains online for historical reference or research. The search function above allows you to search archived and current content separately. If you need archived content in a different format, contact us.
Purpose of Bulletin
To inform staff of impacts of the 2013 Economic Development Initiatives. AB 93 and SB 90 repealed the Enterprise Zones (EZ) and Local Agency Military Base Recovery Areas (LAMBRA) and created new tax credits for businesses.
AB 93 and SB 90 were enacted on July 11, 2013. The impacts are as follows:
- Repeal of the EZ and LAMBRA programs as of January 1, 2014; Targeted Tax Area (TTA) and Manufacturing Enhancement Areas (MEA) expired on December 31, 2012.
- Enactment of the New Employment Credit for employers who hire and retain new employees for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.
- Enactment of the California Competes Credit for businesses that negotiate tax incentives with the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development.
- Allowance of a partial Sales Tax Exemption for business that purchases qualified property beginning July 1, 2014.
Refer taxpayers to FAQs on our website at ftb.ca.gov, under the Businesses tab for answers to most questions.We refer all questions regarding the Sales Tax Exemption to the Board of Equalization.
Taxpayers can call us at 916.845.3464 weekdays, 8a.m. to 5p.m., except state holidays. They can also email questions to GEDI@ftb.ca.gov.
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Feedback received: Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
Forms and Publications
Tax Tables and Rate
Reports, Plans, and Statistics
- Executive Level Promotions and New Assignments
- Public Service Bulletins
- Schools' Partnership Program