Penalty Relief for Delayed 2012 IRS Forms
FTB Archive Disclaimer: Archived content is not current and may contain broken links. It remains online for historical reference or research. The search function above allows you to search archived and current content separately. If you need archived content in a different format, contact us.
Purpose of Bulletin
To inform staff that we will waive the underpayment and monthly penalty for taxpayers affected by the delayed availability of certain federal forms caused by the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA) for the 2012 tax year.
On March 20, 2013, IRS published Notice 2013-24 providing penalty relief for taxpayers affected by the delayed availability of certain federal forms caused by ATRA. We will follow a similar relief process.
We will grant relief from the California underpayment and monthly penalty (aka failure to pay penalty) for reasonable cause, if the taxpayer:
- Shows a good faith effort was made to properly estimate the tax,
- Pays the estimated tax by the original due date of the return, and
- Any tax owed on the return is fully paid no later than the extended due date of the return.
A waiver request must include:
- Reference to Notice 2013-24 in the subject line of the fax or letter.
- Description of the taxpayer’s eligibility for this relief.
- A copy of the eligible (delayed) form filed with their federal return.
- Copy of our Statement of Tax Due.
Advise taxpayers to submit their waiver request by fax or mail at:
- 916.845.9300, or
- For individual taxpayers:
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0040
- For business entities:
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942857
SACRAMENTO CA 94257-0500
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Feedback received: Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later