Enterprise Data to Revenue (EDR) Implements 2D Barcodes for Personal Income Tax Paper Filed Returns
FTB Archive Disclaimer: Archived content is not current and may contain broken links. It remains online for historical reference or research. The search function above allows you to search archived and current content separately. If you need archived content in a different format, contact us.
Purpose of Bulletin
To inform staff that on February 11, 2013, we will implement 2D barcode technology to a limited number of paper-filed personal income tax (PIT) forms and schedules.
Approximately 9 tax software developers use 2D barcodes in their tax preparation software.
We are not requiring tax software developers to include 2D barcodes with their products at this time; however, using 2D barcodes allows us to process paper-filed returns more efficiently.
2D barcodes are available for the following tax year 2012 paper-filed PIT forms and schedules:
- Form 540, California Resident Income Tax Return
- FTB 5805, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals and Fiduciaries
- Schedule CA (540), California Adjustments - Residents
- Schedule D (540), California Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment
- Schedule P (540), Alternative Minimum Tax and Credit Limitations – Residents
- California Schedule W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
The data from these six forms and schedules are printed as 2D barcodes on the new form FTB 3830, 2D Barcode Data Sheet. Multiple pages of form FTB 3830 may print to accommodate all of the 2D barcodes. The original forms and schedules are also printed and need to be included with the tax return.
Tax returns with 2D barcodes should be assembled as follows:
- Form 540 (all three sides).
- Form FTB 3830 (all pages).
- Remainder of the tax return, including all forms and schedules.
All pages of the PIT return, including any attached form FTB 3830s, are scanned. Staff is able to view entire returns in IDAX.
Note: We will add additional PIT forms and schedules in the future, as needed.
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Feedback received: Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
Last Updated: 12/11/2017
Forms and Publications
Tax Tables and Rate
Reports, Plans, and Statistics
- Executive Level Promotions and New Assignments
- Public Service Bulletins
- Schools' Partnership Program