Social Security Administration Randomization (Supersedes PSB 11.10)
FTB Archive Disclaimer: Archived content is not current and may contain broken links. It remains online for historical reference or research. The search function above allows you to search archived and current content separately. If you need archived content in a different format, contact us.
Purpose of bulletin
To advise staff of changes to social security numbers and the way the Social Security Administration (SSA) issues them.
In an effort to increase the number of social security numbers available for use by the Social Security Administration and in order to help reduce identity theft, the Social Security Administration plans to change the way they issue SSNs.
As a result of this change, SSA will have the ability to continue to issue SSNs in all areas of the country for many years without additional changes.
Social Security Administration
- SSA will issue SSNs with the number 8 in position 1
- SSA will no longer issue SSNs based on geography
- SSA will have all possible SSNs with the number 7 in position 1
What’s Not Changing:
- SSA will not issue SSNs starting with the number 9
- SSA will not issue SSNs beginning with the numbers 666 in positions 1-3
- SSA will not issue SSNs beginning with the number 000 in positions 1-3
- SSA will not issue SSNs with the number 00 in positions 4-5
- SSA will not issue SSNs with the number 0000 in positions 6-9
Follow your established unit procedures on how to handle these situations.
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later